Last summer, my friend told me about a conference she was going to in Portland called the World Domination Summit. At first I thought it sounded kinda strange, but the name intrigued me enough to do a little research. When I watched the online video for WDS, and found out more about the organizer Chris Guillebeau, I knew I had to go! I also knew I need to get my hands on his book, The Art of Non-Conformity. You should also get your hands on this book because it will blow your mind!
I was told that WDS sells out in hours, so on the day tickets went on sale I set 2 alarms so I wouldn’t be disappointed. In 2011 they had 500 people attend, last year it was 1000 and this year there were 3000 tickets! People travel all over the world for it too. I went online as soon as my alarm sounded and snagged 2 tickets for Neil and I to attend WDS 2013.
Portland was the last stop after our 2 months in Europe, so upon arrival we were jetlagged, weary travellers. But after a few days recuperating in the hot sun I was ready for some World Domination action! WDS started off with the kickoff party in the Oregon Zoo. Imagine close to 3000 enthusiastic, energetic and excited entrepreneurs (that’s a lot of ‘e’ words) partying it up in a zoo. Pretty freaking awesome indeed! A bunch of my Marie Forleo Mastermind girls came as well and it was so great to catch up with them.
I have been thinking of the ways that I would sum up my absolutely incredible experience at WDS (without taking up too much of your eye balls’ time), and decided to brainstorm as many amazing nuggets-o-wisdom that I have since been reflecting upon. Usually at conferences (and I have gone to a bunch) there are some speakers that really standout and others I don’t care for. But at WDS there was honestly not one speaker that didn’t inspire, challenge and enlighten the way I think. I encourage you to look up each of them on the interwebs http://worlddominationsummit.com/schedule.
What I learned from WDS:
- Ideas are great, but without action they don’t really matter much
- Communicating your story so it resonates is one of the most important skills you can learn
- You must always dream a bigger dream. Sometimes you end up living your dream (which is awesome!) but if you don’t continue to dream you will get stuck
- Sometimes you have to quit to move forward
- Every big accomplishment starts with small steps
- Create value for other people
- If you really don’t enjoy doing something, don’t do it…even though you think you should
- Do what gives you energy
- Make stuff with your hands!
- Be of service
- Things that are easy to you are hard for someone else. Share your gifts
- Your creativity is your most important asset
- There is no getting over fear. It will always be there and that’s ok
- Don’t underestimate the power of asking for help. People will surprise you
- Living an extraordinary life starts with you deciding what you want
- Think about why you do what you do and adjust accordingly
- No one else will give you permission to live your life so give it to yourself
- Happiness is a choice
- Action creates momentum
- Accomplishing big things takes time and you must commit yourself if you want to see the results
- Surround yourself with people who support, encourage and inspire you. Weed out the ones who bring you down
- The days are long, but the years go by so fast. Do what you love
I hope this list encourages you to keep dominating the world!
Thanks for reading and please leave your comments below and share this with your social media pals.
Sparkly summer love,